Friday, June 25, 2010

I can Fly!

This monument/museum

with this family



Loads of FUN!!




Outer Banks 2010
We took our family to the Outer Banks and had a blast!  We stayed in a hotel right on the beach which was so beautiful!  And the next day we went to the Orville Wright Museum.  I thought we would zip in and have a look and then be back out in an hour.  Boy was I wrong.  If it hadn't have been for the basic need of FOOD (which Dakota and I and our kids reach long before these die-hards:) ) we would have stayed the entire day!  The museum and especially the little historical story and outline is so intriguing!  These two put in a lot of hard work, effort and means to invent what I take for granted today - flight.  The risks they took, the courage they mustered, and the passion they realized has changed the world in such a short time.  Sorry about my rumbling belly Grandpa!  Come again and I will take you back for Round 2!

We also took a hike over to the sand dunes in the area.  It was beautiful weather, we bought a new kite and were ready to play.  Wow!  As we started climbing upward the wind was simply amazing.....and unbearable. We did get to the top - barely.  But was it super fun?  No.  Another memory to look back on with a smile I suppose!  Each kid was wrapped from their heads down to protect them from the airborne sand.  And screaming.  I could barely stand up against the wind.  Deep ex-foliation spa treatment.  However, at the top of the dune my dad coaxed me over to the edge and the sight was truly something I had never seen before.  No, not a breathtaking ocean view or extraordinary city-scape - but the earth moving right before our very eyes.  A wall of sand being picked up and blown to who knows where!!  Kinda cool!



1 comment:

JLD said...

I have never heard of this awesome and inspirational museum. Very cool. Thanks for sharing it! Dad